Recoded to Dichotomous Variables, but need Composite Score?

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

sriebl

Recoded to Dichotomous Variables, but need Composite Score?

Postby sriebl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Hello,

I attempted searching this, but I was unable to find any solutions. I don't know what to call this or where to post, but I think here is appropriate (to the mods: if not, please bump to the correct forum).

SPSS version 20 on MacBook, I am try to create a composite math score by summing new variables that I created. The data had math questions (m1-m6) with answers 0-5; then recoded each question dichotomously (if that's even a word) with 0=incorrect and 1=correct. So now I have six columns with dichotomous data (i.e. 0 or 1 depending on if the person answered correctly) that have the heading M1r, M2r, M3r, etc. Now I am supposed to create a composite math score! Is that even possible!? How can this be if the data is only 0 for incorrect and 1 for correct?

Thank you for any input or guidance on where to figure out how to do this correctly.

Also, to the mods: thanks for such a cool forum. I cannot believe this exists and am so appreciative! THANK YOU!
apeape

Re: Recoded to Dichotomous Variables, but need Composite Sco

Postby apeape » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:34 am

If you're asking for a variable that gives the total number of correct answers, that can be achieved by pasting the following into a new syntax window and running it (change the variable names as appropriate):

Code: Select all

compute totalcorrect = sum(mr1 to mr6).
exe.
If that's not what you want, you'll need to be more clear about what you're trying to achieve.
sriebl

Postby sriebl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks so much. I believe that may do it. I am totally new to SPSS and don't so the syntax, but just use the menu bar. So I just type what you wrote word for word and it will compute?

I think that's what I am trying to do (i.e. sum)...my task is this: "Create a composite math score by summing the new math variables. Name it 'Mtotal' (total score on math)."

Then I have to run descriptives on the Mtotal. I am familiar with running the descriptives, but not sure about the prior. I think you hit it though bro. Thanks. I'll get back to you after checking it out.
sriebl

Postby sriebl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Worked. Thanks so much bro!