Need help with SPSS: choice of test and choice of regression

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

seerebout

Need help with SPSS: choice of test and choice of regression

Postby seerebout » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Hey guys and girls.
For Research Methods in Finances I have to write a paper about the subject of dividend payouts.
I chose the research question: "Is the dividend policy of listed Belgian firms affected by whether the company is family owned or not?"
Hypo 1: Dividend yield will be positevely influenced by whether it is listed or not
Hypo 2: Dividend yield will be negatively influenced by wheter it is listed or not
-> Dependent variable: Dividend payout-ratio
-> Independent variable: Dummy family-owned
-> Control variables: Leverage, age? (omdat we daar bij de paring niet echt naar gekeken hebben) en R&D
Which tests should I use? Which regression should I apply?

Hypo 2: The effect between family ownership and dividend yield will be stronger/weaker in listed companies than in non-listed companies.
-> Dependent variable: Dividend payout-ratio
-> Independent variable: Dummy listed
-> Control variables: Leverage, age?, R&D, eventueel nog eens controleren op Size?

Which tests should I use? Which regression should I apply?

I would really appreciate the help since i'm quite a dummy in spss.
Thanks in advance guys and girls.
Sam
GerineL

Re: Need help with SPSS: choice of test and choice of regres

Postby GerineL » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:48 pm

This is not really good manner, you seem to have copy-pasted some info you had for an earlier meeting or something here, since it actually containes some lines in Dutch about you not being certain wheter or not you want to include them.

Also, in order to answer your question, we need to know about your scales etc. Not the content, but what your data looks like (e.g., you mention ... ratio, what does this variable look like?).

That being said, it looks like multiple regression would do the trick.
I am not sure what you mean with "choice of test" and "choice of regression".