Kaplan Meier analysis

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

WP1983

Kaplan Meier analysis

Postby WP1983 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Hello, I'm currently having this problem of survival analysis...
Got a database of 200 subjects which will be followed for 12 months; people need to return for a consultation on 1month, 6month and eventually 12 month after surgery.

My primary interest is whether the artery is still open after surgery. (taking into account the adverse events & death due to surgery??!!)...
but how can I perform this and analyse this in SPSS. I mean, which data do I need and is KM analysis the optimal analysis? Can i use Chi-square or somehting else? (if not, why?)
(Another problem is that my data is incomplete, there are still patients who have to return for a visit on 1 month and 6 month. I want to perform analysis untill 6 month)

e.g. calculation: Smokers and non-smokers --> we could expect that in smokers the artery will be occluded sooner than in non-smokers. etc

(my study is similar to the following article: Venkatesh Ramaiah et al., Midterm Outcomes From the TALON Registry: Treating Peripherals With SilverHawk: Outcomes Collection. J. Endovasc Ther 2006;13:592-602)

Hope anywone can help me! thanks
statman
Administrator

Re: Kaplan Meier analysis

Postby statman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Be patient, hopefully someone will get involved. Survival analysis isn't one of the tools in my knowledge base
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
WP1983

Re: Kaplan Meier analysis

Postby WP1983 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:41 pm

statman wrote:Be patient, hopefully someone will get involved. Survival analysis isn't one of the tools in my knowledge base
Well...I think i've got my database... not sure... but what about censoring...
My primary interest is the patency of the stent... (open vs occluded)... what about events like: lost to follow up (patients don't come to the hospital for their check up) & deaths due to other diseases? Are those censored data? and do I have to define them (give it a value?)

thanks