Struggling with Test to Run

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

andy82

Struggling with Test to Run

Postby andy82 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:10 am

Hi, apologies in advance but in desperate need for some help and no doubt what I'm about to ask is nooby as hell. But hey, worth a shot right?!

Basically, as apart of my Dissertation I'm doing a study into field goal kicking success across pro and collegiate levels. Of this, my goals are to assess the effect of the Distance, Fourth Quarter/OT, Home/Away, Wind, Temperature, Altitude, Attendance and Week variables upon the outcome data (ie. The longer the distance the less amount of successful outcome, temperature above 50 Fahrenheit produces higher probability of positive outcome etc). I also wish to then assess the effect of Fourth Quarter/OT, Home/Away, Wind, Temperature, Altitude, Attendance and Week variables upon the distance of attempt and its outcome (ie. Greater Altitude resulting in more successful longer distance kicks than sea level, Higher Wind resulting in lower success outcome from long distance than in low wind attempts).

Now I have had some teaching in SPSS but to a very grassroot level, so unfortunately what I want to do is a bit beyond my knowledge at this stage. So basically, I'm asking you wonderful guys what would be the best statistical test to run on this data to get the results I need?

Thanks in advance!
GerineL

Re: Struggling with Test to Run

Postby GerineL » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:22 am

It depends a bit on the level of your variables (e.g., is it scale, nominal, ordinal?) but I think you can use regression analysis with a moderators. Look at some case-studies for this online and try to apply it to your RQ.
good luck!
andy82

Re: Struggling with Test to Run

Postby andy82 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Sorry forgot to add that (Sent it at 1am, brain a bit beat down!). All the variables are ordinal.

Thanks.