Multiple response question

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

meekdav

Multiple response question

Postby meekdav » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:13 am

Greetings all,

I am new to SPSS and am trying to work with some multiple response data. I've learned the basics of "Defining Variable Sets" and running the "Frequencies", but I'm not getting what I'd like to in the output. What I have are data with 4 variables (columns), and individuals were able to select more than one response. What I would like is a frequency output where I can see the number that selected any of the four variables, as well as the number that selected more than one response, and what were those response combinations. It's this last part that seems to be missing in the multiple response frequency analysis. Is there a way to see what are the response combinations, and their frequencies?
Thanks in advance,
David
GerineL

Re: Multiple response question

Postby GerineL » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:18 am

meekdav wrote:Greetings all,

I am new to SPSS and am trying to work with some multiple response data. I've learned the basics of "Defining Variable Sets" and running the "Frequencies", but I'm not getting what I'd like to in the output. What I have are data with 4 variables (columns), and individuals were able to select more than one response. What I would like is a frequency output where I can see the number that selected any of the four variables, as well as the number that selected more than one response, and what were those response combinations. It's this last part that seems to be missing in the multiple response frequency analysis. Is there a way to see what are the response combinations, and their frequencies?
Thanks in advance,
David
Some questions for clarification:

- Are the 4 variables the 4 options, or is variable 1 "choice 1", variable 2 "choice 2" etc?
- You say you want to see the number that selected any of the four variables, you mean the number of respondents?
- if someone selected more than 1 option, do you want them only in the combination variable or also in the "selected option 1" variable?

as a starter:

look into automatic recode and if-functions.
meekdav

Postby meekdav » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:19 pm

I was a little confused by the clarifying questions you posted; here's a screenshot that I hope will clarify my original question. There are four choices to the question "The people that live a "life of luxury" practice:" which are subsistence agriculture, dairy, meat, fruit production and are each a column where there is a binary response (1=yes, 0=no). I can run the multiple response analysis, which tells me the % of respondents with each response (i.e.) a total of four variables. But what I'd like to do is be able to see the # of respondents/% of respondents who selected more than one answer, and what those multiple selections were, i.e. in the 3rd and 7th row, respondents respectively indicated both dairy and meat production. So what I'd like is another column in the output that says X individuals selected both dairy and milk production. Similarly, if someone selected dairy and subsistence agric. that would be a separate variable in the data output.

Please let me know if this is still unclear,
Thanks again,
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:12 pm

using if-function, you can create a new variable that is made up of multiple answers from previous questions.

e.g.:

if (dairy = 1 & meat = 1 & agrigulture = 0 & fruit = 0) combined = 1.
if (dairy = 1 & meat = 1 & agrigulture = 1 & fruit = 0) combined = 2.

etc.

then you can label them.

value labels combined 1 "dairy meat" 2 "dairy meat agriculture" .
etc.
meekdav

Postby meekdav » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Gutnre wrote:using if-function, you can create a new variable that is made up of multiple answers from previous questions.

e.g.:

if (dairy = 1 & meat = 1 & agrigulture = 0 & fruit = 0) combined = 1.
if (dairy = 1 & meat = 1 & agrigulture = 1 & fruit = 0) combined = 2.

etc.

then you can label them.

value labels combined 1 "dairy meat" 2 "dairy meat agriculture" .
etc.
Thanks Gutnre, that makes sense; would those data then be "double counted" in a multiple response analysis, i.e. they'd become part of the % of respondents who responded to dairy, as well as those that responded to meat, and those that responded to dairy-meat combined? If so, is there a way to not have them included in those variables analysis, perhaps making that part of an "if" statement, i.e IF...then populate new column and "delete values" in original column (obviously not the right syntax).
Thanks,
David