Visual display task

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Bartyboy

Visual display task

Postby Bartyboy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Hey,
Got another question.

I have used a visual status-display task, where Participants sequentially saw ten computerized visual displays, each containing images of six products (cf. Roskos-Ewoldsen & Fazio, 1992). For each display, the products were randomly arranged in a circle. Exposure to each display lasted one second after which participants had 25 s to write down what they had seen. Each display contained one status product; the remaining five products were functional products.

To measure recall probability, I have to calculate the proportion of recalled status products (number of recalled status products divided by 10) as well as the proportion of recalled functional products (number of recalled functional products divided by 50).

You could say that I'm a newbie in SPSS; so all the help that offers me guidance on how to accompish this processing of information would be verry appreciated. I need guidance in this.

--> 2 Questions :
1) What is the fastest way to recode those products into either functional or Luxury
2) How do I subsequently count those in order to be able to measure recall probability ?

Extra information: I have Windows Vista; Use Spss Statistics 20;Studying at Univerisity of Ghent (Belgium) for Applied Economics in my final Year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bartyboy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
statman
Administrator

Re: Visual display task

Postby statman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:24 pm

See the Note below then check into the RECODE function for starts
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
Bartyboy

Postby Bartyboy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 am

Hey,
I added the information you asked. Where can I find that post ?
greetz
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:31 am

in order to answer your question, please provide information on what your variables look like, and what kind of information you want in the new variable (based on example / numbers, the theory behind it doesn't matter, but what does matter is what kind of computation you want...)
Bartyboy

Postby Bartyboy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:49 am

Hey Gutnr,

In essence people were asked to write down the products they remembered after each display of products, so we have to do with string types as words were written down.
When a person wrote down this for example for product display 1 (of a total of 10):
lamp; watch; car --> functional, functional, luxury (this is how I want to recode the products)

1) How do I recode those stringvariables that have 'none' at the values column.
2) When all of these products are recoded in either functional or luxury, I need to count how many luxury was seen and how many functionals were seen. So I guess that I need to count the amount of luxury products and the amount of functional products.
When this is done, I can see wheter Condition 1 ( first 50 people) has remembered significantly more luxury products than condition 2 has( last 50 person).

I basically want to finish with a variable 'proportion of recalled status products' and 'proportion of recalled functional products' for both condition 1 and 2. I can then Compare if condition 1 has seen significantly more status then condition 2, via indepent T-test I guess...

Do not try to read those productnames written down in data view as these are in Dutch ( unless you understand that language). :mrgreen:
Is this enough information for you Gutnr ?

I have added printscreen of these variables in both variable and data view to assist you in your aid.
Thanks alot !

Greetz,
Bart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.