Multiple values

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Ilse121

Multiple values

Postby Ilse121 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:49 pm

Hee guys!

Hopefully you can help me with this.
I am doing a questionnaire about internet use of children.
One of the questions is what kind of electronics they own. So, I've put in values:

1; Laptop / pc
2; Smartphone
3; Tablet
4; Xbox / playstation / Wii

Though, some respondents said for example that they own a laptop (1) and a smartphone (2)
How do I add other values to the data overview. (so value 1 AND value 2)

Hopefully you can help me! Thanks :)
statman
Administrator

Re: Multiple values

Postby statman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Do you mean "internet use of children"?

Not really clear as to what you want: Data entry help or analysis
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
Ilse121

Postby Ilse121 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 am

Okay let me try again then...

I did a questionnaire like I explained. One of the questions you can tick multiple boxes. So for example, a child uses a smartphone AND a laptop / pc.
I will try to attach images. As you can see in image 1, I gave each a value an label.
SPSSImage1.jpg
Now, in data view I want to add two or more variables because the respondents of the questionnaire ticked multiple boxes (so e.g. 1 laptop and 2 smartphone). How can I add two or more variables into data view?

Here is an example of what I want. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-toBCDscCwQ Though, is there a way to incorporate it in my data that I already entered in SPSS (the data you can see in the image)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:21 pm

You will need to modify the data file to have a separate column for each response, e.g., if have the 4 possibles but someone might have all 4 then 4 variables as "resp 1," "resp 2," ... then look into the multiple response setup and stats

Are we on the same page?
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
Ilse121

Postby Ilse121 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:06 am

I guess we are. So if I understand it correctly, I have to make a separate file for the multiple response questions. though, how do I incroporate those files (where the multiple response questions are put into data) into my other file where the rest of my questionnaire is filled out?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:08 pm

The 'own electronics' variable will have to be split out into separate columns (variables), 1 var for each response (you can leave the current 1 var there). Looks as if the remaining vars are OK
Ilse121

Postby Ilse121 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:06 am

Ohh okay, so I can just put it in the same file but just have to split the multiple response questions into separate columns, correct??

Thank youu sooo muchhh!!