Syntax

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

lisamaastricht

Syntax

Postby lisamaastricht » Wed May 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a beginner with SPSS and I'm writing my thesis at the moment and I'm struggeling a lot. I have to assess the socio economic status of the participants and therefore I have to link the postcode of them with certain factor scores.
The data that I got looks like that;
IF ( postcode_r = 1012 ) factorscore_ses = ( -.55672 ) .
IF ( postcode_r = 1013 ) factorscore_ses = ( 1.66621 ) .
IF ( postcode_r = 1014 ) factorscore_ses = ( -1.20856 ) .
IF ( postcode_r = 1015 ) factorscore_ses = ( -.31051 ) .
I think I somehow have to run a syntax analysis.Unfortunately I have no idea how this works...I would be soooo grateful if one of you could help me.
Thanks a lot in advance
Greetings
GerineL

Re: Syntax

Postby GerineL » Thu May 15, 2014 12:10 pm

syntax is basically written commands you give pss to perform certaina ctions on your data (data transformations, analyses etc)

The part you mention creates a new variable (factorscore_ses) based on the postcode variable.

Note that this is not data, this is something you use on a dataset.

To run this syntax, post it into a new syntax window (via new -> syntax), select it and press the play button to run it.
lisamaastricht

Postby lisamaastricht » Sun May 18, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks for your fast response :)
I understand that I have to run a new syntax, however I have one file where I see which participant has which postcode and one file where I see which postcode has which factorscore for the socio-econimic status. How can i combine them to run the syntax?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help again :)
RubenGeert

Postby RubenGeert » Mon May 19, 2014 6:30 am

Hallo Lisa,

For a brief explanation on SPSS syntax, see http://www.spss-tutorials.com/syntax/.

For combining the two files, use MATCH FILES with one file (the one that has duplicate postal codes) and one table (without duplicate postal codes).

Kind regards,

Ruben Geert van den Berg
www.spss-tutorials.com