Air Mass Trajectory Clusters

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

djv5030

Air Mass Trajectory Clusters

Postby djv5030 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:36 pm

I've never used SPSS before and was hoping someone here may have suggestions on how to cluster air mass trajectories with the software using the two-step clustering process.

I have multiple 96-hour trajectories in a data file (latitude, longitude and height outputted every hour) and want to make sure each trajectory stays intact when clustering. I'm afraid from all the tutorials that I've seen, though, that each hour will be clustered together and the whole trajectory will, in essence, be broken apart.

Has anyone ever clustered air mass trajectories using the software before and, if so, have suggestions on how to do so?
RubenGeert

Re: Air Mass Trajectory Clusters

Postby RubenGeert » Mon May 26, 2014 6:35 pm

First, make very sure you always work on a copy of your data anyway and most importantly, work from syntax so you can rerun everything you did in case things do break down some time. See http://www.spss-tutorials.com/spss-synt ... ld-use-it/

Anyway, clustering does not modify your original variables in any way. It merely adds one or more variables to your data (such as cluster membership) which you can delete if you don't like them. So feel free to experiment a bit with it.

Kind regards,

Ruben Geert van den Berg
www.spss-tutorials.com