Quantiles from Frequency Tables

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Iqbar

Quantiles from Frequency Tables

Postby Iqbar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:19 pm

I'm using SPSS to analyse some commercial data. The data is organised with a row/case for every item that can be sold (a SKU) with the sales quantity and retail unit price as variables. I am trying to calculate quantiles of the retail price of units sold. This is not the same as quantiles of the variable 'RetailUnitPrice' as some SKUs have sold many units. For example, if I have two items - A and B which cost £1 and £1001, and I sell 3 of A and 1 of B, the median retail unit price is £1 (since this is halfway between the second and third items sold when ranked by retail unit price) but SPSS would give me a median value of £501 since this is the midpoint of £1 and £1000.

Can anybody help? It feels like I need to transform the data in some way and then run descriptives on a new, calculated variable, but I'm new to the software. Thanks!
Iqbar

Re: Quantiles from Frequency Tables

Postby Iqbar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:28 pm

Notes:

I am using Windows 7 Professional and IBM SPSS v22. Sorry for failing to include that in my opening post.
RubenGeert

Re: Quantiles from Frequency Tables

Postby RubenGeert » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:53 am

Dear Iqbar,

If I understand correctly, each row represents one or multiple sales but the number of sales is ignored by SPSS. If so, try and WEIGHT the cases by units sold as explained here http://www.spss-tutorials.com/weight/.

Kind regards,

Ruben Geert van den Berg
www.spss-tutorials.com