Hypothesis Testing

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

evansdi

Hypothesis Testing

Postby evansdi » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:57 pm

Trying to work an assignment for my class and unfortunately, my instructor doesn't feel it necessary to answer my emails. I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out. My assignment is this:

"You are a researcher interested in finding out whether the number of people conducting an interview has any effect on how much the person being interviewed talks during the interview. You randomly assign 30 individuals into two groups. Members of both groups schedule individual times to come in and be interviewed. Interviews lasted 10 minutes for each individual. A single person interviewed members of one group and a panel of five people interviewed members of the other group. The researcher then calculated how much time each person talked during his or her interview. The percentage of time that the person being interviewed spoke is listed below. Use the 6 steps of hypothesis testing to set up and determine the results of this study. Use SPSS to calculate your test statistic."

I know this much of what I need to do: Go to “Analyze,” “Compare means,” “Independent samples t test”; Move the independent variable to the “grouping variable” box and click “define groups” - label your groups with the dummy codes you have assigned to your groups (usually 1 and 2); move the dependent variable (time spent talking) to the “test variable(s)” box and click OK.

I also know my independent variables are "interviewed by one person" and "interviewed by panel" and my dependent variable is the amount of time being interviewed.

What I don't know is this: how do I set up my variables so that I can make the necessary comparisons? I have the independent variables set up but I don't understand what needs to be done to set up my dependent variable as a unit of measurement. As you can see in this image, the time is set up in each column with the independent variable. I have set it up this way copying the information directly from my assignment. You may have noticed this from above: "The percentage of time that the person being interviewed spoke is listed below." This is the "below" that was listed on my assignment.

As you can also see, setting it up this way gives me no way to test the dependent variable.

I would sincerely appreciate any help I can get as I just don't know what I'm missing.
GerineL

Re: Hypothesis Testing

Postby GerineL » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:41 am

Because it is an assignment, just some hints:

What are your cases here? now, it looks like person 1 is interviewed both by a group and by a single person.
If that is the case: are you using the right method?
If that is not the case: are your data entered in the right way?