Descriptive statistics problem

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

CardinaelsJ

Descriptive statistics problem

Postby CardinaelsJ » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:39 am

Sorry to bother you with what probably is an easy fix but I've never really used SPSS and have to now for my masters thesis, and I'm kinda working with a deadline, so here it goes:

I made an online survey using Lime Survey on harddrug use. In the survey I had a first question whether the person had or had not ever used any kind of harddrugs. The ones who aswered 'yes' got another series of questions like the frequency with which they use every type of harddrug. Now I'm analyzing the data, but when I try to get some easy descriptive statistics, it also takes the responses from those who answered 'no' in the first question into account. In the table it says 'Valid' and then the amount. And then builds the cumulative percentages from there. But I only want to analyze the data from people who have ever used to crossreference it with other values like the motivations for drug use.

I added an image into the attachment. I only want to analyse the 270-38 = 232, and not the whole 270 (edit: for any reason I can't upload the attachment)

I hope this is a bit clear, and hope you can help!
Kind regards
statman
Administrator

Re: Descriptive statistics problem

Postby statman » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:16 am

VALID is the adjusted based on non-missing values but really need some more info about the data
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
RubenGeert

Re: Descriptive statistics problem

Postby RubenGeert » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:06 am

"But I only want to analyze the data from people who have ever used to crossreference it with other values like the motivations for drug use."

Try FILTER. See http://www.spss-tutorials.com/filter/