What test to use?

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

simpson1990

What test to use?

Postby simpson1990 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Dear Superior Statistical Beings, :)

I am working on a large dataset of over 4 million data points and around 52 variables. The dependant variables are currently continuous variables representing gas and electricity consumption per year with a different variable for each year. I also have variables for total and average gas and electricity consumption for all years. The independent variables are mostly categorical variables (either 0 and 1 or 1 to 5) with one variable being continuous.

What I am hoping to analyse is whether or not any of the independent variables influence the dependant variable/s and especially if there are any relationships between these variables. The main issue I am having is working out which test would be most appropriate. I have mostly done logistic regressions on previous projects and ideally would want to use the same test here but as my independent variables are continuous I didn’t think that was possible.

I do not know if it would be possible or even advisable to transform the continuous dependant variables to categorical variables but as there are no clear groups in the data I felt that this would not be appropriate (but I may be wrong).

I appreciate that I have not given much information on the dataset but if you require any more information to help then please ask.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ben.
statman
Administrator

Re: What test to use?

Postby statman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Is this analysis to be time series based or not? Are you looking to run multiple DVs at a time or individually? .....
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
simpson1990

Postby simpson1990 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:28 pm

At the moment I am thinking of using one dependant variable of Energy (gas and electricity) consumption or running separate tests for gas and electricity. Having not used time series analysis before I am unsure how to go about using it, but it is an area I am going to look into its potential for this data set. I was mostly wondering if tests such as MANOVA would be able to show me the relationships I am trying to find or whether I need to look at analyses such as time series. I have mostly only ever used Logistic Regression so I am a bit foggy on which tests to use when the data does not work with logistic regressions.

Thanks.

Ben.
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:47 pm

Look into simple linear regression