SPSS help!! Not sure how which test to run!

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

kika

SPSS help!! Not sure how which test to run!

Postby kika » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:18 pm

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, but not new to spss ( 4 years of research methods :/) However, one of my greatest weaknesses has always been using spss and maths in general. Now that my thesis requires analyzing my survey/study's data through spss, I'm panicking a bit.

My first hypothesis is that attitudes will influence employment prospects and intention to hire for those with disabilities. Within my survey, we created a costliness scale were people scored how much potential workers will cost their business in relation to 8 attitudes (my study is only looking at 4 of the attitudes). Another scale was asking intention to hire in the next few months. both of these scales are continuous I think (they had 0-7; 0 no cost- 7 extrem high; 0- no intention to hire, 7- high intention).

My question is what test do I use and how do I do it! I know this is a very broad question, but I am completely unsure how to run this in spps. Our scales seem reliable (we looked at Cronbach’s Alpha) but unfortunately we have a pretty low sample size. I'm just not sure how can one scale (costliness), can be used to predict another scale (intention). This might not make any sense, but because the intention scale ranges from low scores to high, I was thinking of getting all the low scores (1-4) and making that a new variable so I can test it amongst my costliness scale; to see if that influences low scores. I tried that by splitting the variable, and then running it through spss, but it gave me an output saying it couldn't be computed.

I apologise if this doesn't make sense and appreciate any help that is given. I think next time, I might stick with qualitative research instead...
statman
Administrator

Re: SPSS help!! Not sure how which test to run!

Postby statman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Are you looking for a cause/affect relationship or "simple" a test of differences

Also, technically your rating scare are Likert scales and not continuous, however, some models allow you to "assume" they are continuous

Need a bit more ...
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services