Merging 2 datasets that have several different variables

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

stresscadet

Merging 2 datasets that have several different variables

Postby stresscadet » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:33 am

Hello! I am trying to merge 2 datasets that, while sharing numerous common variables, also each have additional variables that the other doesn't. Further, one dataset has more variables than the other. My ideal output is a dataset that has all variables from both datasets. There would be empty cells for the variables that were not present in their respective datafile. I've tried first merging the datasets by adding variables and deleting the data entry the newly added variables (so that all variables would be present). Then I'd re-merge the same file as before, but by adding cases. This...sort of worked, but there are numerous areas missing data entries. I was wondering if there was a cleaner way to accomplish this task? Thanks in advance!
statman
Administrator

Re: Merging 2 datasets that have several different variables

Postby statman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:44 pm

So you want 1 dataset with all variables, some cells would be empty from the dataset that didn't have variables - Right

If so the Merge w/ Add Variables

Select the complete set them merge in the partial but there could be issues if the variables don't agree in measurement so ...
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services