How to have multiple responses to a variable?

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Nizam

How to have multiple responses to a variable?

Postby Nizam » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:44 pm

I am currently conducting a study looking at the rates of incidental findings seen in cone beam CT scans.

One of my variables looks at defining what the incidental findings present actually are.
Currently I have this set up so that I can enter an abbreviation of the finding into the data view. this works perfectly when the scan only has 1 incidental finding.

when a scan has more than 1 incidental finding my abbreviations no longer work.

I have attached screenshots of my SPSS spreadsheet, I hope this makes things clearer.

Variable View - http://s22.postimg.org/uvj86o6fl/eg1.png
Data View - http://s27.postimg.org/uyumml01f/eg2.png

So after looking at these screenshots, how can I input SLC and CS both at once for a single case?

Regards,

Nizam
iopsych

Re: How to have multiple responses to a variable?

Postby iopsych » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Hello Nizam,

I would suggest creating two new variables, named SLC and CS, and typing in '1' when this type of finding is present for the individual and '0' when it is not. So, instead of typing in abbreviations (which probably is a string variable), just create numeric or nominal variables and type in '1' for those incidental findings. This method allows you to define as many types of findings as you wish, and you can also run analyses like percentages, chi-square, etc. using each variable.

I hope this was helpful.

Yalcin
Nizam

Postby Nizam » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 am

Hello Nizam,

I would suggest creating two new variables, named SLC and CS, and typing in '1' when this type of finding is present for the individual and '0' when it is not. So, instead of typing in abbreviations (which probably is a string variable), just create numeric or nominal variables and type in '1' for those incidental findings. This method allows you to define as many types of findings as you wish, and you can also run analyses like percentages, chi-square, etc. using each variable.

I hope this was helpful.

Yalcin
I was hoping to avoid this. the problem is that I will end up with potentially close to 50 different variables, thus making my SPSS spreadsheet incredibly inflated.
iopsych

Postby iopsych » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:57 pm

I don't think there is another way to do it. Even if you find a way to enter two findings at one in a variable, you will have issues analyzing your data.

Yalcin
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:34 am

another idea might be that you add another case for people with more than 1 finding (thus, add the ID another time).
then later on you can use a syntax to automatically create the file iopsych was talking about.
Nizam

Postby Nizam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:40 pm

another idea might be that you add another case for people with more than 1 finding (thus, add the ID another time).
then later on you can use a syntax to automatically create the file iopsych was talking about.
this sounds interesting. please do tell me more.
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:39 pm

So do what I said, so you have 1 or more lines per case. Then you can use the restructure function to restructure the data to the other format.
Nizam

Postby Nizam » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:39 pm

I'll give restructuring a go with some test data, will let you know how it goes