Analyzing Chi square test, nullhypothesis

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Jennyat

Analyzing Chi square test, nullhypothesis

Postby Jennyat » Tue May 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi, I would really appreciate the help. I study research methods for psychology and reading about different tests for my exam in two weeks. I'm not sure if I've understood the Chi square test completely. Output file is attached.

The data is transport methods. Since the p-value is .000 (below .05), the result is statistically significant and we reject the nullhypothesis, am I right here? But what does that mean, what is the nullhypothesis here exactly? Does the result mean that the data does not fit with the expected distribution, or did it fit?

The reason I'm confused is that I've been reading about different tests, and nullhypothesis of the other tests is usually that it is NOT significant difference between groups or variables. And in Chi square the nullhypothesis is suddenly that it DOES fit with expected distribution? Is this correct or have I misunderstood something?

Appreciate all the help I can get :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GerineL

Re: Analyzing Chi square test, nullhypothesis

Postby GerineL » Wed May 13, 2015 9:53 am

This forum is not meant for homework assignments.
Maybe you can check this website, it should help you find the answer to your question:

https://statistics.laerd.com/spss-tutor ... istics.php
Jennyat

Re: Analyzing Chi square test, nullhypothesis

Postby Jennyat » Wed May 13, 2015 2:14 pm

GerineL wrote:This forum is not meant for homework assignments.
Maybe you can check this website, it should help you find the answer to your question:

https://statistics.laerd.com/spss-tutor ... istics.php
This is not homework though, I'm trying to be more prepared for the exam. The datafile and output is from a task we are already done with and delivered. My question was just what the null hypothesis in a Chi square is exactly, because I think maybe I've misunderstood it. I don't even know if null hypothesis is universal or if I have to choose one myself. If i can't ask here, where on this forum can I ask about it? :) Thank you for the link, i'll look through it :)