Masters Dissertation - What statistical test to use??

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

des_31

Masters Dissertation - What statistical test to use??

Postby des_31 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:24 pm

hi guys, i am currently in the middle of writing my dissertation and i have reached the area where i am meant to be analysing the data. I used a likert scale for my questionnaire and now i have got the data back but unsure what statistical test i should use to anaylse it.

i am trying to find if an perceived fit between a product and endorser has an effect on purchasing intentions (both were asked using the likert scale)

i was under the assumption that a correlation can be used, but i have also heard that it should be regression.

any comments will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
GerineL

Re: Masters Dissertation - What statistical test to use??

Postby GerineL » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:26 am

Are they both 1 item (i.e., 1 likert item measuring fit, and 1 item measuring intentions)? Or are they both scales (i.e., both multiple items that together comprise 2 scales)?

In case it is just 1 item, they are ordinal variables and you need spearman rho correlation.
If they are both scales and you meet the assumptions for correlation, you can do correlation.
Since you only have 1 predictor variable and 1 outcome variable, the results of a regression and correlation will be the same, so it doesn't matter which one you choose.

If I somehow misunderstood your design, please provide more info on the variables (not the content but the variables, e.g. what type of variables they are (scale, ordinal... etc).