Cluster Analysis issue

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Juliette

Cluster Analysis issue

Postby Juliette » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:52 pm

Dear all,

I hope you can help me, I have a few issues with SPSS and I would need some guidance with it if someone can help, I'd be really grateful.

So far I was able to run all descriptives for the sample and Cronbach Alpha for each variable.

The main problem has been running the cluster analysis. I tried both K-means (which comes second on the output, I tryed a 7 cluster solution just to see how it worked) and hierarchical cluster analysis (the first you see on the output).

The thing is I can't really figure out how it works and have been unable to understand the outputs.

The other question I have is how to calculate de variance in order to see how each variable (which I have computed in order to obtain the mean for each subject, neutralyzing the effect of the diferent number of items on each scale) influences the total score, meaning the sum of the means of all individual scales(tot).

Thank you in advance for your help

Kind regards,

Juliette
GerineL

Re: Cluster Analysis issue

Postby GerineL » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:27 am

I had the same problem with cluster analysis in spss so I decided to use a different program instead, one that provides more informative output (e.g., entropy, LMR etc) that can help you decide between different number of clusters. I did find some youtube videos on cluster analysis in spss, so that might be a tip.

I don't really understand your second question, can you elaborate?
statman
Administrator

Re: Cluster Analysis issue

Postby statman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:02 pm

I need more info so ...........
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services