SPSS 22 error "DATA 1721" in Windows 10 Pro but not in Windows 7 ? ?

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Srdjan

SPSS 22 error "DATA 1721" in Windows 10 Pro but not in Windows 7 ? ?

Postby Srdjan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:25 pm

I made an upgrade install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, using Windows Update, over existing Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. The SPSS is 22.0.0.2, 64 bit which worked perfectly in Windows 7.

In Windows 10 however, I got a message "SPSS Statistics data file .....is written in a character encoding (windows-1250) incompatible with the current locale setting. It may not be readable. Consider changing LOCALE or setting Unicode on. (Data 1721)".

In addition some analysises from the syntax file were omitted.

Starting the syntax file several times caused SPSS to crash showing the question mark (?) instead of the data in the opened file. I had to terminate SPSS from task manager.

What is so special in Windows 10 regarding the SPSS and system locale, as nothing has been changed in Windows 7 prior upgrade ?
The same syntax file and SPSS data file invoked from this syntax file worked flawlessly in Windows 7 and this SPSS version. For your reference I attached both the syntax and data files, so one can y replicate the error.

The System Locale in Windows 7 was Serbian (Latin, (Serbia and Montenegro Former)), sr_CS.

The Show Locale command in Windows 7 produces the following output:
LOCALE country and character set sr.windows-1250 (sr_CS)

I tried changing to Unicode without success as some specific Serbian characters eg. "đ"," š" were not transferred in the opened file. Again, some parts of the analysis were not performed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GerineL

Re: SPSS 22 error "DATA 1721" in Windows 10 Pro but not in Windows 7 ? ?

Postby GerineL » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:58 pm

best contact IBM costumer service about this. Maybe post a solution here if you find one. I am affraid that spss users on this forum may not be able to assist you in this.
Srdjan

Postby Srdjan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:09 pm

GerineL wrote:best contact IBM costumer service about this. Maybe post a solution here if you find one. I am affraid that spss users on this forum may not be able to assist you in this.
OK. Can you give me the link. It is really hard to find the right way through the IBM site.
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:12 am

just google IBM costumer service + the name of your country, e.g.:
http://www-05.ibm.com/support/operation ... rview.html