Data and Tests

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

benny

Data and Tests

Postby benny » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to analyse my results in SPSS (version 22) but struggling to know which tests to use for my data, or if i have entered it correctly. The data is as follows:

Objective 1) Explore local attitudes towards windpower in an area of extensive energy production.
Objective 2) Find out if local residents' attitudes towards wind turbines are positively influenced by the introduction of a community-owned proposal.

n = 82 (55% response rate as 150 questionnaires sent out)

Data captured:
1. Residency - do they live in a particular area (Yes/No) - Nominal
2. Have they voted against a wind turbine proposal (Yes/No) - Nominal
2. Attitudes were all measured using a 5-point Likert scale (1 = strongly agree and 5 = strongly disagree). I have entered this as 'Ordinal' data.
- Attitudes towards renewable energy
- Attitudes towards wind power
- Attitudes towards further renewable energy developments in the area
- Attitudes towards community-owned wind farms

What I want to test:

1) Do residents who answer 'Yes' to living in the area, 'disagree' or 'strongly disagree' to wind power?
aim: to show that residents in the area have a positive/negative opinion on wind power
Test: ?

2)
Do residents who answer 'Yes' to living in the area, 'disagree' or 'strongly disagree' to further renewable energy developments in the area?
aim: to show that residents in the area are for/against further renewable energy developments in the area.

3) Residents who 'strongly disagree' or 'disagree' to wind turbine developments, 'agree' or 'strongly agree' to community owned wind turbine developments.
aim: to show that those with a negative attitude to wind turbines in the area, may actually have a positive attitude to wind turbines if they were community-owned.
Tes: ?

4) Residents who have voted against a wind turbine development 'Yes' , may 'agree' or 'strongly agree' with community owned wind turbine developments.
aim: similar to above, to see if those with negative views of wind turbines are actually in favour of community-owned wind turbines.

5) Residents who are in favour of Renewable Energy 'Yes' , then answer 'strongly disagree' or 'disagree' to further renewable energy developments in the area.
aim: to strengthen the point that they are only against renewable energy developments in the area, i.e. fed up of the current level of developments in the area.

I have a book by Andy Field 'Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS' which i am working through but struggling to define the appropriate tests for my data.

Do I do non-parametric tests as the data is mostly ordinal? Can i do correlations? Just not sure of the best way to test the significance of each and if it's possible to test two variables that are capturing data from Likert scales?

Apologies for the bombardment! :shock: Any help would be very much appreciated. :)

Many thanks,

Benny
GerineL

Re: Data and Tests

Postby GerineL » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:13 pm

In the way you phrased your questions, it seems like you just want to use frequencies to display what they answered.
I.e., you phrase the questions as: Do they answer X.
If you would rephrase your questions, other tests are possible.

E.g., question 1 could be:
Do residents who answer yes have lower opinions about wind power compared to residents who answer no.