Troubles with excel and spss 23 - can't even begin the work

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Freudowski

Troubles with excel and spss 23 - can't even begin the work

Postby Freudowski » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:03 pm

I have gathered the data using Google Forms and saved them in a .xlsx Microsoft Excel 10 file. The problem is that Spss 23 won't open the file at all! The survey in Google Forms contains questions in Serbian Cyrillic so at first I thought encoding was the problem. I switched from Unicode to locale encoding in Spss 23 and still nothing! My file remains unrecognized by spss and I can't even understand the pop-up message describing the reason.
Does this only happen with Spss v. 23? Maybe previous versions of Spss open any kind of excel files. I am aware that excel file can also be saved as .txt and imported into Spss like that. Sadly, I am really an absolute beginner and I have no idea where and what to click in order to save my database.
Any help with opening the excel file into Spss and converting it to a spss file is greatly appreciated.

Apps and OS used:
Spss 23
MS Excel 10
Windows 7

S.
Freudowski

Re: Troubles with excel and spss 23 - can't even begin the work

Postby Freudowski » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Found the solution not long after posting this. If anyone else encounters this problem, here it is - I saved the .xlsx MS Excel 10 file as .xls Excel 97-2003 and this helped. Spss 23 opened it and all the Cyrillic was saved and readable.
Now on the next challenge! I am currently reading SPSS for Dummies so hopefully, if have more questions for this forum, they won't be this stupid :)
Cheers!