Frequency table from multiple response question - need it to show single results

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Nisto

Frequency table from multiple response question - need it to show single results

Postby Nisto » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:39 am

Hi,

Apologies this is probably a really simple question, but I haven't been able to find the answer, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

We've imported survey results into SPSS. Where a question allowed people to pick multiple answers, all the answers they picked are shown in one cell. When I then make a frequency table in SPSS, it then shows the text in the cell as a row name, rather than the survey response options.

So, for example, if the questions was 'which sport do you enjoy?', with possible answers of 'golf', 'tennis', 'football', the frequency table would ended up looking like this:
Golf, Tennis 2
Golf, Football 3
Golf, Tennis, Football 1
Football, Tennis 4
Golf 2

Whereas I want to produce this:
Golf 8
Tennis 7
Football 8

At the moment I'm getting round this manually in Excel, but there must be a simpler way! Can anyone help?

Thank you!
GerineL

Re: Frequency table from multiple response question - need it to show single results

Postby GerineL » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:01 pm

look into the index function, this can help you to create separate variables for each sport!