Interpreting weighted data & frequency tables.

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

_extraordinaire_

Interpreting weighted data & frequency tables.

Postby _extraordinaire_ » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:16 am

Hi,

I have been told to:
"Open the British crime survey 2000 data set and calculate descriptive statistics for the number of times something stolen from hands, pockets, bag or case since 1 Jan 99 by gender".

And then:
"Calculate a frequency table for the number of times something stolen from hands, pockets, bag or case since 1 Jan 99. Now weight the data using the appropriate weight and recalculate the frequency table. Briefly comment on the frequencies in the two tables in terms of the weighting between the sample and the population".

In this case, I assumed that the appropriate weight was Gender. Would you agree with this?
I then went about creating the frequency table. I noticed that the number of times something was stolen had significantly gone up. However, I fail to realise what this means. Does it imply that a specific gender was shy in reporting? and having weighted the data, the number of times something was stolen had therefore increased? I could really use an explanation here.

Thanks in advance,
Fellow SPSS'er.
statman
Administrator

Re: Interpreting weighted data & frequency tables.

Postby statman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:57 pm

I assumed that the appropriate weight was Gender.
I think you might want to do a stat refresher! Why do you this this.

Also, ...............
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services