Newbie help: which analysis?

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

annedev

Newbie help: which analysis?

Postby annedev » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Hello all,
I am a complete newbie in SPSS and would like to ask you all for help. I have a dataset in which I would would like to compare two measurements with one another within one group, but it is not a pre- and posttest.
Some explanation: I want to investigate how strong the emotional response of a group of participants on a number of words that they have been offered in their mother tongue, compared to the same words when offered in a second language. In other words, in 1 group I have two measurements, namely the emotional response (scored on Likert scale) on two languages. Now I want to know whether the response to one language is significantly different from the response to the other language. Which analysis could I use to measure this?
Thank you in advance for your help!
dahmer33

Re: Newbie help: which analysis?

Postby dahmer33 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:03 pm

You would run a paired samples t test. Go to SPSS, Analyze, Compare Means, Paired Samples T test. Put test 1 in Variable 1 and Test 2 in Variable 2. Click Ok. The Paired Samples Test box will say the Mean (which is the difference between the two tests) and then the Sig. (2 tailed) which will tell you if there is a significant difference between the two.
annedev

Postby annedev » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:28 pm

Thank you very much!

I would also like to test if the self-reported language proficiency (another scale in my dataset :P) has an effect on the reported emotion with only the words in the second language. Could you also help me with which analysis is most suitable to explore this correlation?

Thanks!!! :) :)
dahmer33

Postby dahmer33 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:05 pm

Since they are both continuous it would be a pearson correlation.
annedev

Postby annedev » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Ok! Thnx for the big help :)
annedev

Postby annedev » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Hi, yet another question from me.

Can anyone tell me what analysis (and how many?) to perform in the next situation:
3 different study groups (I want to know the possible difference between all three). One dependent variable (interval), measured 3 times, over time.
Also taken into account co-variables: age, IQ and sex.

I was thinking two-way ANOVA with repeated measures, but is that correct? And where to fill in what? And how to perform the analysis?

I hope one of you guys can help me! Thnx!! :)
annedev

Postby annedev » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:35 pm

Correction: Mixed ANOVA would be better since I measure within groups (time) and between groups (3 different groups)?
dahmer33

Postby dahmer33 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Yes that is correct. Do you need a walk through of how to do one?