two values for a numeric variable

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Kitta333

two values for a numeric variable

Postby Kitta333 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:31 pm

I've created a database with 11 hospital pacients and I inserted a numeric variable regarding the toxicity of a certain drug (eg. "1"= metabolic toxicity, "2" = renal toxicity aso). The problem is most patients have two or more types of toxicity simultaneously. So if the patient has both metabolic and renal toxicity (so 1 and 2), how do I enter both values?
I'm trying to make a chart that shows me what percentage of patients has metabolic toxicity, what percentage has renal toxicity aso... and I'm stuck.

I'm a beginner with SPSS, so I would really appreciate your help with this! Thank you.
statman
Administrator

Re: two values for a numeric variable

Postby statman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 pm

So you want to create 2 separate variable for the example you state or 1 variable that denotes both?

Also ...................
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
Kitta333

Postby Kitta333 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:37 pm

1 that denotes both
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 am

OK and then how are the "toxicity of a certain drug" coded, e.g. a variable for each type? So if the most is say 5 levels then are there 5 variables and how coded?
Kitta333

Postby Kitta333 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Here's an attachment of what I'm trying to do. This should allow me to create a bar chart with the percentage of people who have each of the 5 types of toxicity (by using Descriptive Statistics -> Frequencies).
The problem is:
If, for example, Patient A has both haematological and neurological toxicity, I can't enter both 1 and 2 in Data View, can I? So then, how can I create my bar chart?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.