Adding labels to large numbers of values in a variable:

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

RomanInDisguise

Adding labels to large numbers of values in a variable:

Postby RomanInDisguise » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm currently wondering if there is a faster way to input labels for values in a variable in SPSS - rather than just manually inputting the values-one-by-one, which is the only one I (as a beginner) currently know of.

At the moment , I'm faced with a rather old data set. It's been converted to SPSS from paper, but the people who converted it didn't bother to add labels to many of the values. To label values, I'm having to look through an old PDF file describing the codes for all the variables, and input them manually.

This is fine with most categorical variables when there's just a dozen or so values, but not for something big like 100+ occupational codes. To make matters worse, I'm going to have to do this with several separate SPSS data sets, rather than just the one.

Is there an easy way - perhaps using the SPSS syntax coding - to do this? Any suggestions would be much-appreciated.
GerineL

Re: Adding labels to large numbers of values in a variable:

Postby GerineL » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:46 am

yes you can do this via syntax.

Code: Select all

value label varname1 varname2 varname3 1 "label for value 1"  2 "label for value 2"  3 "label for value 3".