"Reverse values"

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

mimi

"Reverse values"

Postby mimi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:08 pm

Ok, another question for you.

In my questionnaire i used i had the respondents "grade" statements on a scale from 1-7, where 1 is Strongly Disagree and 7 is Strongly agree.

I used reversed statements randomly in my survey in order to make the sample respondents think, so I basically have based my research with positive loaded statements such as: "Trust is important to me", "I like to be actively involved with this brand" etc.
I also used some negative loaded statements such as "I sometimes feel that this company acts intrusive" and "I would change to another company if I perceived it to be better" etc.

I think i have figured out how to create new values through using the TRANSFORM-->RECODE-->INTO DIFFERENT VARIABLES...and then reversing the coding such as:

1-->7
2-->6
3-->5
4-->4
5-->3
6-->2
7-->1

Then the loadings will measure the same so that the means and such will be correct.

But then my question is when i have created these new variables, i see the new variables on the bottom of my variable view (which i have labeled with the name NEW LABEL)...but under "VALUES" it now says "None".

When i see at my old values (before i recoded them) the VALUES says 1-Strongly Disagree,2,3,4,5,6,7-Strongly Agree.

Should I now write new values on the VALUE box such as 1=Strongly agree and 7= Strongly disagree? I am asking since i under the TRANSFORM-->RECODE already plotted inn that i want the 1 to read as a 7 and 2 be read as a 6 and so on....

I'm sorry for all these stupid questions, but I am just learning as i go through it...i have never done all this by myself before.

andris
Site Admin

Postby andris » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi mimi,

It's no problem, you can ask us (nearly) any question about SPSS! If you choose to recode a variable, the value labels will not automatically be transferred. You can simply copy the value labels from another variable, which is coded the same as the recoded variabel (Strongly agree to Strongly disagree). To copy it:

- go to the Variable view
- rightclick the Values cell from the other variable which has the value labels you want
- choose Copy
- go to the newly created variable
- rightclick the Values cell and
- choose Paste
statman
Administrator

Re: "Reverse values"

Postby statman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:48 pm

mimi wrote: I'm sorry for all these stupid questions, but I am just learning as i go through it...i have never done all this by myself before.
The only stupid question is the one not asked, so ask all you need.
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services